“Feeling the Burn:” Why Your Acne Treatment Shouldn’t Sting
If you’ve spent any amount of time trying to cure your acne with over-the-counter products, you’re probably familiar with the skincare tingle. It’s that prickly, burning, hot flush feeling that can sometimes occur immediately after you apply a product. Most of us assume that feeling the burn means that our skincare is working to clear our acne, but there are a number of reasons why this assumption is wrong. Here’s why burning, tingling, or flushed skin should not be an indicator of whether your skincare is working and how you can escape the burn for good.
What the Tingle Might be Telling You
“No pain, no gain” is a terrible motto for your skincare. A tingling or outright burning sensation that happens every time you apply your skincare, especially if it’s accompanied by redness, is a sign that something is wrong. Whether it’s simple irritation or an allergic reaction, these symptoms can lead to inflammation, peeling, and lasting sensitivity that can damage your skin and cause more breakouts if you aren’t careful.
The Acne Intelligence Skin Trifecta: A Non-Irritating SolutionThe fact is that more sensation is not correlated with how well your skincare is working. It’s often the extra inactive ingredients in skincare that give us the sensation that the product is “working” while active ingredients work quietly behind the scenes. That’s why Acne Intelligence has created the Skin Trifecta, a kit of three gentle but powerful products that work together to fight acne without causing irritation or a burning sensation.
The Skin Trifecta includes
- Clear Skin Cleanser: A gentle but effective cleanser that removes excess oil and dirt without stripping the skin's natural oils.
- Acne Treatment Serum: A potent yet gentle serum that uses salicylic acid to unclog pores and fight acne-causing bacteria.
- Lightweight Moisturizer: A non-greasy moisturizer that hydrates the skin without clogging pores or causing breakouts.
Using the Skin TrifectaA Simple Routine The Skin Trifecta is easy to use and can be incorporated into your existing skincare routine. Here’s how to use it:
- Start with the Clear Skin Cleanser. Wet your face with warm water, then apply a small amount of cleanser to your fingertips and gently massage it into your skin. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply the Acne Treatment Serum. Dispense a small amount of serum onto your fingertips and apply it to your face, focusing on areas where you have acne or are prone to breakouts.
- Finish with the Lightweight Moisturizer. Dispense a small amount of moisturizer onto your fingertips and apply it to your face, gently massaging it into your skin.
Don't Over-Apply ProductsWhen it comes to acne treatments, less is more. Stick to the routine guidelines that come with your treatment. If you know that the product is particularly strong or capable of causing irritation, be conservative and use the product less frequently to start. You can always increase your use as you understand how your skin reacts.
Nourish and Protect Your SkinThe best way to achieve a lasting glow is not only to find an effective acne treatment, but to pamper your skin with soothing and moisturizing ingredients as well. Always apply moisturizer. Even oily skin types need it! Likewise, protect your skin with SPF daily. UV damage, no matter how slight, can inflame and irritate your skin, making products that might otherwise interact well with your skin feel uncomfortable.
Acne scars can be a frustrating and unsightly reminder of past breakouts, but there are ways to reduce their appearance. In a recent blog post titled "Acne Scars - How to Diminish the Appearance," the author shares tips and tricks for minimizing the look of acne scars. From using at-home remedies to seeking professional treatments, this post offers helpful advice for those struggling with acne scarring. Whether you're dealing with mild or severe scarring, this blog post provides valuable information on how to improve the look of your skin.